Rates & Taxes
According to the US government I am considered a household employee as a result the family is required to withhold and pay social security and Medicare taxes on any employee making more than $2000 a year (2016). The taxes are 15.3% (2016) of cash wages plus the requirements of your home state. I do pay quarterly estimated taxes and file a tax return in April with my yearly earnings as a result I do not ask you to withhold unless you want to. If you would like I can provide you with an invoice at the end of the period.
If you are not comfortable with this and would rather provide me with a W-2 this is fine. You may pay half of Social Security and Medicare and any other taxes required in your state. This is usually about 10% of the gross wages and will require you to provide me a W-2 at the end of the year. Just inform me when we first speak that you would prefer to go this route, please note it does not change my hourly rate.
This tax information was explained to me by Breedlove and Associates. If you have any questions or concerns feel free to contact Breedlove and Associates by phone 1-888-BREEDLOVE or through the internet at their website: www.breedlove-online.com.
If you are looking for a Newborn Care Specialist, Postpartum Doula or a Temporary Nanny I ask for 40 hours a week for guaranteed availability and flexibility. If you need less then 40 hours a week I try to accommodate your schedule however it will be first come first committed. The closer you are to me (I am in Glover Park, DC) the more flexible I may be with the schedule.
- Night time care has an 8 hour minimum. This can be from 10 pm to 6 am or 11 pm – 7 am. I will do more then 8 hours however not less.
- Day time care has a 4 hour minimum, however I am not always available. The closer you are to me (I am in Glover Park, DC) the more flexible I may be with the schedule.
I ask that to book my time you must:
Sign a contract based on your specific needs and situation.
You will pay a non-refundable deposit to reserve your block of time.Your time is not on hold until I receive both this deposit and contract.
Hold Time: To hold a block of time I require a deposit of the hourly rate * half the time being held.
- The cost of my driving to your place is included in the hourly rate if the position is in the DC area.
- If position is out of the DC area I will include approximate one way mileage (January 2016 Federal mileage reimbursement.) , plus tolls, to your location in the deposit.
- The return mileage/tolls charges are added to the last invoice.
- If during the position I you need me to use my car, I will most likely ask for mileage at 54 cents a mile (January 2016 Federal mileage reimbursement.)
Here are two nanny tax service providers: